World Animal Protection’s Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Accessibility, and Belonging Policies
At World Animal Protection, we strive to create a world where animals live free from suffering. We work across 50 countries in 12 different offices to move the world to protect animals. But to achieve this impact, we know that the work we do is only accomplished through the efforts of all people.
To build a stronger movement for animals, we must also build a better world for people.
We must stand against all forms of racism, anti-Blackness, hate, discrimination, and injustice, and work alongside those who have been marginalized. We must listen and work to ensure their voices are heard, both in our movement and in society collectively. We must create paths for all to become decision-makers and leaders in our workplace and society.
Our organization is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and world. We have policies and a set of behavioral values that guide our work (see below). We are a work in progress and to that end, we regularly review our policies and values statements in an effort to continually bolster our approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We have a number of policies guiding these beliefs and have created a set of behavioral values below that guide our office:
US Office Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility Behavioral Values
1) We respect all beings of all species, races, ethnicities, ages, abilities, genders, religions, gender identities, or sexual orientations.
2) We strive for excellence by being flexible and creative.
3) We are honest, accountable, and transparent.
4) We foster an environment free from injustice, discrimination, or intolerance from colleagues, donors, supporters, or third-party vendors.
5) We strive to respect, value, and listen to each other and promote a positive working environment.
6) We strive for the promotion of diversity, equity, justice, and inclusion.
7) We challenge each other to provide a safe space, time, and tools to implement these values.
Governing our values and work with each other is also strong policy language within our employee handbook. World Animal Protection is proud to provide equal employment opportunities beyond those included by federally mandated requirements. Strengthening our policies only strengthens our ability to provide an equal workplace for all.
We launched a Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Accessibility, and Belonging Advisory Group in 2021 to oversee this work. The group meets regularly to review and propose updates to policies, facilitate training opportunities for staff, and identify opportunities for public engagement related to DEI. It strives to build an inclusive culture at World Animal Protection. We encourage our employees, partners, and supporters to join us in actively working toward a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive world.