Four Meat Swaps for Plant-Based Cooking
Looking to eat more plant protein? Here are four easy plant-based food swaps for some of your favorite dishes.
- Swap chicken for oyster mushrooms which contain 3 grams of protein per cup.
- Swap beef mince for smoked tofu and it contains 12grams of protein per 100grams
- Swap a beef burger patty for kidney beans which contain 7.5grams per 100grams
- Swap chicken for tempeh in your stir fry and it contains 12.4grams of protein per 100grams
You can also try these delicious and nutritious plant-based swaps to substitute meat but not on flavor.
- Tofu, tempeh, and seitan are all excellent ingredients to replace meat in your favorite recipes.
- Several vegetables have a meat-like texture, such as mushrooms and eggplant. Dress them up with savory sauces and grill or roast the veggies like meat-you won't even miss the steak.
- For cold meals, like sandwiches, salads and chilled soups, replace meat and seafood with beans or chickpeas.
- For something a little more familiar looking, try plant-based meats, such as Beyond Meat. They look and feel pretty close to the real thing and can be cooked in many of the same ways, from burgers to meatballs.
Eating more plant protein can make a positive change for your health, the planet and for animals.